From Datum Datacentres to the Datum Group
On 12 September 2022 we announced our acquisition of Teledata UK, one of the most well-connected and protected data centres in the UK. Teledata was the obvious choice as the first addition to the Datum Group due to its stringent security, geographic location and growth potential. This was our first regional bolt-on acquisition and gives us a national presence in the South East and the North West - the two most economically active areas in the UK.
Continued growth across the Datum Group
Expansion is underway across the Datum Group with two live datacentres (both with added capacity to meet demand) and two new data centre facilities in the pipeline.
Work has been underway during 2022 to provide a further 120 footprints and ½ MW of power at FRN1, and these are available now in Hall 3 for immediate occupation. A brand-new hall (Hall 4) will go live in FRN1 in May 2023, offering 380 footprints and 1MW+ of power.
Planning permission has been granted for the construction of an entirely new facility (FRN2), link-detached to our existing facility. This will provide 600 footprints on the ground floor, with scope to double this capacity on the first floor. All data halls will provide an average power density of 3.5kW/footprint, capability to deliver high density compute of up to 30kW/footprint, and Tier 3+ resilience.
The footprint expansion has been underway during 2022 at MCR1 and the build out of three new data halls is complete.
Planning is currently underway to open a second site (MCR2) in 2024, potentially offering up to 25,000 ft2 of space, 4MVA of power and over 1,000 new server racks. This new facility will be carrier neutral, built to enterprise standards and will offer the full range of Datum Group accreditations.
A growing team
Our expansion has meant that we have restructured some of our key roles across the group to ensure we have the right people in place to drive our developing partnership and ongoing growth. This year had already seen some new faces at Datum, as well as some new roles for familiar faces, and we are very pleased to be welcoming key members of the Teledata team into the Datum Group fold.
- Vicki Edgeley - Head of People at the Datum Group. Teledata’s HR Manager, Vicki Edgeley, has become Head of People across the Datum Group.
- Anna Nicholls - Head of Marketing for the Datum Group. Teledata’s Head of Marketing, Anna Nicholls, has taken on the role of Head of Marketing for the Datum Group.
- Seb Graham - Head of Sales for the Datum Group. Prior to Datum and Teledata joining forces, Seb was Teledata’s Commercial Development Manager. He has now taken on the role of Head of Sales for the Datum Group.
- Mark Richards - Chief Financial Officer of Datum. Mark had been Non-Executive Director at Datum since 2016 and was appointed Chief Financial Officer in August 2022 to ensure the fiscal health of the business as it grows.
- Melissa Hagan (nee Munday) – Client Engagement Director at Datum. Melissa continues to head up Datum’s service management team and, extending her focus on client care, is now Datum’s Client Engagement Director, looking after the commercial relationships with Datum’s enterprise clients.
- James Hagan - Data Centre Engineer and Compliance Officer at Datum. James joined Datum’s operational team in June 2022 to support Datum’s Data Centre Manager with general site activities and the management of Datum’s all-important accreditation and compliance activities.
- Sam Spencer - Client Services Manager at Datum. Sam joined Melissa on the service management team to ensure that we continue to provide the best service possible to all our clients.
- Tina Mace - Datum’s Office Manager. Tina joined Datum in October 2022 to ensure the smooth running of Datum’s office functions.
- Luke Carter - Infrastructure Engineer at Teledata. Luke joined Teledata’s infrastructure team in December this year following a previous role as a Managed Service Engineer for a North West-based MSP.
- Kane Friend - 1st/2nd Line Support Engineer at Teledata. Kane will be working as part of the support team, providing technical support via the ticketing system, and will also be involved in data centre operations including access, remote hands and cable installations.
Helping our clients to achieve their ESG targets
The Datum Group continues to invest in the most energy efficient infrastructure solutions across our data centre sites to help our client achieve their ESG goals.
Our Farnborough site uses energy-efficient adiabatic cooling, power from renewable sources (and full carbon offsetting), and became one of the first data centres in the UK to begin the migration in 2022 from red diesel to HVO (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) for our backup generators.
Our Manchester site is the only UK-based colocation provider to have implemented energy enhancing 2MW battery storage system solution with voltage optimisation to store electricity from the national grid at times of low demand and discharge it during the most beneficial periods, acting as a reserve during peak tariff times. This system allows us to save a huge amount of energy and carbon emissions, boost the resilience of the facility by improving the shelf life of equipment, reduce unnecessary energy waste and optimise the incoming power supply.
Energy efficiency will continue to be a key focus for the Datum Group in line with our commitment to becoming carbon neutral by 2030 and Manchester’s pledge to become a carbon neutral city by 2038 - we will continue to innovate, so our clients don’t have to.
An endorsement of the Datum Group’s service-first approach
The Datum Group’s ethos is one of partnership and collaboration, not the standard client/supplier relationship. We offer a colocation solution that is uniquely aligned to clients’ business needs and desired outcomes - no two clients have the same requirements, so we provide a truly bespoke service tailored to each client’s needs.
Whilst the Datum Group will be taking a well-earned break over the festive period before tackling 2023 head-on, it goes without saying that our critical operations will continue to run as normal to ensure complete continuity of service. For now, everyone at the Datum Group would like to wish you a healthy and happy Christmas and New Year.
If you would like to find out more about the Datum Group, please do get in touch. With capacity now available at both our Farnborough and Manchester sites, this is the ideal time to make contact if you are considering migrating your IT off premise. To discuss your requirements, contact Datum or Teledata.