27th October 2017
What to look out for when choosing a colocation partner
A few months ago, we interviewed Tim Anker of Colo-X who specialises in helping businesses choose a colocation provider. If you haven’t had a chance to read the interview yet, it’s well worth a look.
One comment Tim made that particularly interested us was around the importance of price: “Price is only one aspect really. Everyone likes value for money, but our customers tend to be much more bothered about factors like…the range of services the provider offers, whether the provider a good fit for their size of business, and whether they offer 24/7 technical support.”
This got us thinking about what people are, or should be looking for when choosing a colocation provider. We haven’t focused on the technical elements – you can find out all about those here – this is all about the ‘softer’ elements, relating to the service you should receive from any credible supplier.
Top 5 traits
- Firstly, it’s always wise to look for a company who will work with you to assess your needs. Be suspicious of anything that seems too ‘off-the-shelf’. A good colocation partner will suggest the most valuable solution for your business, whether it is part of a hybrid approach or a wider business continuity and disaster recovery plan.
- As part of this, your partner should also be flexible. As things change, so may your storage and IT requirements, and it’s important that your partner will be willing to accommodate that instantly and seamlessly.
- Seek out companies who come well recommended and are certified. Ask them for case studies, use cases, client references and proof of their accreditations. When these are provided, check out whether there is sufficient evidence of the supplier going above and beyond the basic call of duty.
- As Tim Anker said, moving your IT can feel like a real challenge, so you want to find a partner who will support you in making your transition. Things you should look for include support with design during the initial transition, proactive service reporting and the availability of a dedicated client service manager throughout your project.
- Finally, it’s all about the people. A good working relationship is crucial for any long-term partnership to succeed. It’s also vital for your peace of mind, especially when sensitive data is involved. For that reason, we recommend that you look closely at the team behind the business and their ethos.
Here at Datum, we’re more than happy to be ‘put under the microscope’ by potential customers when they’re considering working with us. We’re happy to share information on our approach, customer references and even give you a tour of our highly-resilient and secure facility.
Why not book a tour today, or get started by looking at information about our previous projects and concierge services.
More blog and news
11th July 2018
Data centre migration can be a complicated and challenging process. See how Datum's service-enhanced approach can make your migration stress free.
13th June 2018
See how Datum supported a leading construction and infrastructure group in moving to a hybrid cloud solution.
5th June 2018
Farnborough-based colocation data centre providers, Datum, have joined forces with networking firm Next Connex to provide customers with a direct link to Jisc’s
23rd May 2018
Learn more about Datum's partnership with critical environment specialist Keysource.
8th May 2018
Key considerations when thinking about your data centre partner and GDPR compliance.
25th April 2018
Working with partners, Datum are able to deliver tailor made IT transformation projects hassle-free. See how it all works in this infographic.
20th April 2018
With data security in the headlines more than ever before, IT managers need a reliable, secure and service-focused colocation solution – but not all data centre
21st March 2018
What are the benefits of becoming a Datum partner, and how would partnering with us give your business an advantage?